·Since January 1998 I have been working as a freelance technical writer/translator. Below are a few of the clients for whom I have performed consultancies:
- Proxy Srl Technical documentation for telecommunications projects
- I&T Internet & Telecommunications SpA Translation (En > It) of network marketing manual. Simultaneous interpreting at a congress and round table (It > En and En > It).
- L&H Mendez Italia Srl Translation (It > En) of various material ranging from exercise and gym equipment manuals to reports on Y2K awareness
- Honeywell Dating SpA Technical documentation and online help for security systems: access control, Time & Attendance and anti-intrusion
- Hill-Rom SpA Translation (En > It) of documentation and articles regarding hospital equipment/services
- Patheon Italia SpA Translation (En > It) of MSDS safety sheets for chemical/pharmaceutical products
- Stora Enso Italia Srl Translation (En > It and It > En) of articles about the paper industry, corporate documents, contracts, etc.
·VEGA Informatica SpA, Milan October 1994 – December 1997 Technical Writer/Translator. Continuation of BASEstar Open project at Digital Equipment S.p.A, Milan (see below).
· TEMA Studio di Informatica, Cologno Monzese (MI) January 1990 – October 1994 Technical Writer/Translator. I wrote support manuals, user manuals and installation manuals based on DEC standards for various Digital management systems. I also completed the following consultancies:
- Digital Equipment S.p.A., Milan Technical Instructor. Taught the “Introduction to VMS”, “Advanced VMS” and “VMS Operator” courses.
- Digital Equipment S.p.A. (engineering site), Gallarate (VA) Technical Writer/Translator. Wrote documentation (in English and Italian) and developed online help systems for DECtrack (tool for tracking software errors in engineering environments); DEC FUSE (integrated environment for developing software tools); BASEstar Open (a family of multi-platform tools for integrating and developing applications in manufacturing environments).
·DAISI Informatica Srl, Milan January 1986 – December 1989 Technical Writer/Translator. Completed the following consultancies:
- Honeywell Bull, Pregnana Milanese (MI). Translated a series of hardware installation manuals and was co-translator of Compuprint printer manuals.
- Digital Equipment S.p.A., Cinisello Balsamo (MI). Wrote documentation for projects ranging from European stockroom management to field service contract administration.
- SOLVAY, Milan. Co-wrote documentation for the NGV (sales management) project.
· Sirio Informatica Srl, Milan April 1984 – December 1985 Software Engineer (graphics). Translated documentation and brochures for LUMENA (PC-based graphics tool).
· A.B.S. Computers, Brighton, Great Britain July 1982 – December 1983 Junior Programmer.
My specialist translation subjects are:
· Computers and Information Technology (hardware and software)
However, I have also undertaken translation work (generally It > En) in various other fields, including the following:
· Business (e-commerce, financial reviews, etc.)
· Retail (consumer issues)
· Administration and organisation (company policy, health and safety recommendations, etc.)
· Mechanical engineering (automatic clutch device for disabled drivers)
· Literature (criticism)
· Music (popular music journalism, liner notes, musical instrument reviews, etc.)
· Law (supply contracts, claims, etc.)
· Tourism and travel (hotel brochures)
· Naval (warships)