TRADUguide - Your Guide to Translators and Translation Agencies

For translators

Find a job  |   Conges terminology center  |   Agencies list  |   Feedback forum
Register as a freelance translator or an agency  |   My profile  |   My status
Become a featured member  |   Renew your featured membership

For job posters

Post a translation job to ask for quotes
Browse the translators directory
My account / My job postings

Home   |   This is how TRADUguide works   |   Contacts / Imprint auf Deutsch

Conges terminology question

<<Previous question

All questions

Next question>>

16 months ago

Christine Keitsch (a guest user) asked this question:

Language pair:

German > English



Level of diffculty:

Easy / medium

Word or term in question:






The answer of   See profile was rated best

Bow wave; (less frequent: bow shock)

My comment:

Bow wave is a term in fluid dynamics, physics and (aero)nautical science. It is a progressive disturbance which is propagated by fluids, notably water, in response to the displacement caused by the foremost point of the object moving through said fluid. Thereby, the object progresses through the fluid at a velocity greater than that of the wave moving across the fluid.

It most commonly applies to the V-shaped wave forming at the bow of a moving ship. Additionally, the term can also be applied to an airplane travelling at supersonic speed. In the latter case, the bow wave exhibits a conical shape.

Deutschsprachig auf den Punkt gebracht: Eine Bugwelle ist die Welle, die ein schwimmender Gegenstand, der sich durch eine Flüssigkeit fortbewegt, vor sich her schiebt. Auch ein Flugzeug, das schneller fliegt als der Schall, schiebt eine Art Bugwelle.

My references:

Professional nautical experience; general sources for comparison include Britannica (EN) & Wiki (DE/EN).