TRADUguide - Your Guide to Translators and Translation Agencies

For translators

Find a job  |   Conges terminology center  |   Agencies list  |   Feedback forum
Register as a freelance translator or an agency  |   My profile  |   My status
Become a featured member  |   Renew your featured membership

For job posters

Post a translation job to ask for quotes
Browse the translators directory
My account / My job postings

Home   |   This is how TRADUguide works   |   Contacts / Imprint auf Deutsch

Conges terminology question

<<Previous question

All questions

Next question>>

10 months ago

Gisele (a guest user) asked this question:

Language pair:

English > Portuguese


Technical / Engineering

Level of diffculty:

Easy / medium

Word or term in question:



water treatment skid


Want to send the asker a comment? Click here.

Important This question has already been answered and rated. Therefore, no new answers can be given.

Complete list of answers and comments

10 months ago

José Fonseca  See profile wrote:

plataforma de tratamento de água

Comments by other colleagues on this answer:

10 months ago

exegete  See profile wrote:

I agree, although I could not find any online example - but this might be a new concept. In this sense, "skid" means a "supporting surface". Tip: when you don't understand, or don't know how to translate, look it up in an explanatory dictionary. Explanatory dictionaries are usually overlooked by amateur translators, because they haven't learnt how to translate, and think they can play it by ear. See : "2. a. A plank, log, or timber, usually one of a pair, used as a support or as a track for sliding or rolling heavy objects. b. ***A pallet for loading or handling goods***, especially one having solid sideboards and no bottom." Translation alignments can be useful too: : "A ski shaped runner or ***supporting surface*** as found on a helicopter or other aircraft in place of wheels. A basic form of a wood or plastic ****platform**** for the storage and transport of goods, machinery or equipment, later developed into pallet." Another way of understanding is by looking at the online pictures: So it's the surface underneath a water treatment apparatus. If it has wheels, the whole thing can be moved around a water treatment plant.

10 months ago

exegete  See profile wrote:

Gisele, As I said here above, this translation is CORRECT. Would you take a minute of your precious time and approve of it officially and give José his due points? Or at least comment on it, if you think you found another solution? Indeed, this attitude of yours looks ungrateful - and we don't have to keep on helping ungrateful people. Thank you. Regards,

The asker rated this answer best